COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD
ABOUT THE AWARD
Community service is an integral part of the Harvard Medical School and Harvard School of Dental Medicine missions. In faithfulness to their commitment, the Dean’s Community Service Award was established to recognize individuals who have made outstanding personal efforts in serving the local, national, or international community.
2013 COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD RECIPIENTS
Nancy Oriol, MD
Associate Professor of Anaesthesia, BIDMC
Dean for Students, HMS
The Family Van
Yvonne Gomez-Carrion, MD
Assistant Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, BIDMC
Concerned Black Men of Massachusetts
Thanh-Nga Tran, MD, PhD
Instructor in Dermatology, MGH
Vietnam Vascular Anomalies Center
Cheri Blauwet, MD
Clinical Fellow in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation,
Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
Spaulding Adaptive Sports Centers
Amanda Nichols, BS
Staff Assistant III, Systems Biology, HMS
The National MS Society
Research Assistant III Protein Engineering, Wyss Institute, HMS
Previous Years >>
The advisory committee for the Community Service Award will review the nominations and select at least one recipient for each of the four categories:
- faculty member
- trainee (house officers, post-doctoral fellows)
- staff member
Harvard Medical School is pleased to donate $1,000 to community organizations through which award recipients serve.
Community Service Award recipients will be announced mid-April 2013. Individuals who were nominated will be notified of their nomination.
Deadline for Submitting 2013-2014 Nominations: TBA
We encourage anyone to nominate someone, whose commitment to and participation in the community has made a positive impact on the lives of people locally, nationally or globally.
Examples of the types of involvement the committee will consider may include but are not limited to:
- Service with an established community service organization or faith community that goes beyond what the agency considers to be as work of routine volunteer;
- Creative effort to develop and/or sustain a new program within an existing service agency;
- An overall commitment to service as shown by duration of involvement in one or more programs;
- Development of a one-time service effort, such as an annual event or a disaster relief effort;
- Helping to found a new independent service or program.
Guidelines for submitting a nomination are as follows:
- To be considered, all nominations MUST be submitted online.
- Self-nominations will be accepted.
- Each nominee must meet one of the criteria below:
- Faculty must be based at HMS/HSDM or any HMS-affiliated hospital or institution
- Trainee must be a house officer, clinical, research or post-doctoral fellow based at HMS/HSDM or HMS-affiliated hospital or institution
- Student must be enrolled at HMS/HSDM or under the HMS Division of Medical Sciences
- Staff must be working directly for HMS or HSDM (receiving a Harvard paycheck)
For more information please contact:
Harvard Medical School
Office for Diversity Inclusion and Community Partnership
164 Longwood Avenue, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02115-5818
Tel: 617-432-1083; Fax: 617-432-3834